Mayor Richard Stewart
- Richard was elected to Coquitlam City Council in 2005
- He is bilingual (English and French)
- Richard has lived all his life in Coquitlam
- He was married in 1983 to Anna Rosa; they have four children
- Richard has served his community in the provincial government as MLA for Coquitlam-Maillardville 2001-2005; appointed MLA Responsible for Francophone Affairs, member of the Government Caucus Committee on the Economy, and Chair of the Select Standing Committee on Education.
- He has extensive experience as a community volunteer in a large number of social, service, environmental, business and community organizations, including:
- Coquitlam Rotary Club
- Knights of Columbus
- Maillardville Lions Club
- Société Maillardville Uni and Société Biculturelle de Maillardville
- Local school Parent Advisory Committees
- Executive, School District 43 Parent Advisory Committee
- A longstanding member of the Coquitlam Chamber of Commerce
- Formerly, Richard has been:
- President of the Canadian Home Builders Association of B.C
- Chair of the National Housing Economic Research Council
- Publisher of a successful housing industry trade magazine
- Member of the BC Minister's Advisory Council on Affordable Housing
- Member of National and BC Building Code Committees
- Member of the National Research Council Canada's Standing Committee on Housing
- At the local government level, Richard has volunteered on the City of Coquitlam Economic Development Committees, on a local Advisory Design Panel, on Housing Committees, and as a Trustee on the Coquitlam Public Library Board.
- Richard is a writer, and operates his own government relations and communications business.
- Formerly, Richard served as the Chair of the Disability Issues Advisory Committee, Chair of the Liveable Communities Advisory Committee, Chair of the Parcel Tax Review Panel, Chair of the City/School Board Liaison Committee, and Member of the Metro Vancouver Regional Planning Committee.
- Currently, Richard is:
- Chair of the Strategic Investment Advisory Panel
- Director on the Metro Vancouver Board of Directors
- An alternate on the City/School Board Liaison Committee
- The Mayor is an ex-officio member of all Committees
Mayor Richard Stewart