We invite you to visit the Coquitlam Animal Shelter to meet the animals and tour the facility. It is an ideal opportunity to learn more about animal care services in Coquitlam. On a tour of the shelter you can see some of its specialty features first hand, find out more about volunteer opportunities and get to know the animals up for adoption.
The Coquitlam Animal Shelter was completed in May 2002. It is made up of an administration building, two kennel buildings and a fenced dog exercise area.
The administration building is home to an integrated service of bylaw enforcement and animal control. The main floor contains the volunteer area, three cat rooms, a mechanical room, a fully-accessible public washroom, a clerical area, the Managers office, a veterinarian room and a storage, food preparation and grooming area. The mezzanine level is office space for Shelter and Bylaw Enforcement Staff.
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday and Statutory Holidays - 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Shelter Dog Viewing – Staff at the counter will be happy to give you information on the dogs we have up for adoption. If there is a dog you feel would be suitable for your family and you would like to consider adopting, we will bring them out to our meeting area for a visit. This keeps a calm environment for the dogs in the kennel area.
The Shelter has a minimum impound period of 96 hours after which the animal may be put up for adoption. At the shelter, we do not deal with abused domestic animals or injured wildlife; however, we will pick up dead animals in public areas.
We can also provide private and general animal cremation. Please contact us for fees.
Tours & Presentations
The Shelter can arrange tours and presentations to meet your needs and requirements. To arrange a tour call the Shelter in advance with:
- Date and time your group would be interested in coming for a tour;
- Number of people in your group. We recommend groups of 20 or under due to the size of the shelter; however we will accommodate larger groups with sufficient advance notice.
The Shelter also conducts presentations at schools as well as other venues.
Parking at the Shelter
Shelter parking is available in front of the shelter for two-hour lengths of stay. If you intend to stay for more than two hours, please park your vehicle across the street from the shelter in places marked as Visitor Parking.
Coquitlam Animal Shelter
Phone: 604-927-7387 (604-927-PETS)
500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam, B.C. V3K 7B6
(Turn West off Mariner Way on Service Centre Driveway, just North of Austin Avenue)
Coquitlam Bylaw & Animal Services