Of all the taxes you pay in a year (income tax, sales tax, CPP / EI, etc.) your municipal government receives just 7% on average to provide the services you need and use every day in the city.
These services include police and fire response to foster safe neighbourhoods, business resources to support local jobs, a variety of community recreation facilities and leisure opportunities, a multi-modal transportation network and reliable delivery of utilities that are considered the basics – water, wastewater, garbage collection, paving, roadways and public safety.
Of your annual property tax bill, your municipal government only keeps about 63%. The remaining 37% goes to other agencies such as the Provincial Government, Metro Vancouver and TransLink.