Inspections are necessary because they assist the homeowner or builder in constructing a building that meets current structural, health, security and fire protection safety standards. City inspectors have a wealth of knowledge on City bylaws and codes related to building and their involvement in a project helps promote conformance to safety and health requirements. Communicating with your inspector in advance reduces the chances of problems arising during a field inspection.
There are many stages involved in the building inspection process and inspections should be called at every stage. Depending on what you're building, inspections for the following may need to be carried out:
- Forms and excavation inspection
- Drain tile and damp proofing
- Storm, sanitary and water services
- Slab poly inspection
- Bathtubs, showers, traps
- Frame, chimney and duct inspection
- Insulation inspection
- Final building inspections
- Fire sprinklers
For detailed information on the Inspection process, you can also refer to A Guide to Residential Building Inspections. Inspectors can be reached at City Hall between 8:00 a.m.- 9:30 a.m., Monday - Friday to answer questions or respond to requests for information.
Arranging an Inspection
An inspection can be booked in the following ways:
- Touchtone Inspection Booking Service: 604-927-3426 (Please call the inspection line before 3:30 p.m. the day prior to the day of the inspection.) Touchtone Inspection Booking Tips
- Inspection phone line: 604-927-3440 or 604-927-3450 (Available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week where you can leave a message)
- Inspection department: 604-927-3441 between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Please call the inspection line before 3:30 p.m. the day prior to the day of the inspection.)
- Fill out an inspection request form and fax it to City Hall: 604-927-3445.
Electrical inspections are performed by the BC Safety Authority