Special Plans and Projects - Maillardville Neighbourhood Plan
The City of Coquitlam has initiated an Official Community Plan (OCP) Update for the Maillardville Neighbourhood Plan, the first comprehensive update to this Neighbourhood Plan since it was adopted in 1989. The purpose of this work is to prepare an updated vision for the neighbourhood that will help guide change over the next 20 years.
Public Open House #3 (Wednesday, May 23, 2012)
The 3rd Public Open House was held on Wednesday, May 23rd, and was attended by more than 150 people. Topics of discussion included housing choices options, new medium density housing areas, urban design guidelines and streetscape standards, parks and recreation experiences, integrated watershed management planning and heritage directions. The display panels and key maps are located below:
Where is Maillardville?
The map below shows the boundaries of the Study Area for the Maillardville Neighbourhood Plan Update process.
It is important to note that the boundaries of a Neighbourhood Plan take into account many variables. Neighbourhood plan boundaries are also informed by the need for a reasonable size (not too big; not too small), natural and built environments, public thoroughfares, topography, existing neighbourhood plan boundaries and other such characteristics of an area.
What will the Update Achieve?
The updated Maillardville Neighbourhood Plan will outline a vision for the area that will help guide change over the next 20 years for this important community of Coquitlam. The planning process provides an opportunity for the community to explore and focus on:
- The social well-being of the neighbourhood;
- The creation of a range of housing choices that will be needed now and in the future to address local housing issues such as affordability and choice;
- The provision of more transportation choices. Making transit, walking and cycling easier;
- The continued development of Maillardville into a vibrant, complete neighbourhood that meets the everyday needs of local residents;
- The enhancement of the capability and attractiveness of Maillardville’s employment areas to create more jobs for Coquitlam residents;
- New opportunities to enhance parks and natural spaces.
Be Part of the Plan!
We want you to get involved! Neighbourhood participation is key to building a strong vision for the Maillardville neighbourhood so your input is critical.
The City of Coquitlam is looking for residents, businesses, property owners, and community organizations to get involved, share ideas, and help us develop a common vision for Maillardville.
To join the Maillardville email listserve, sign up here.
Public Open House - Preferred Options
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Time: 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Place: Place Maillardville, 1200 Cartier Avenue, Lower Banquet Hall
Public Talk - The Character of Maillardville Through Architecture and Urban Design
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Time: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Place: Rochester Elementary School - Library
411 Schoolhouse Street, Coquitlam
Design Workshop - Fostering the Spirit of Maillardville
Date: Saturday, February 25, 2012
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Place: Maillardville Middle School - Lower Level
1300 Rochester Avenue, Coquitlam
Related Documents & Plans
Key Project Milestones
Phase 1: Existing Neighbourhood Conditions and Site Analysis
Phase 2: Updated Vision, Guiding Principles and Policy Options
Phase 3: Preferred Land Use Concept, Policy and Design Directions
Phase 4: Completion of the Draft Plan for Council's Consideration
- Prepare a Draft of the updated Maillardville Neighbouhood Plan
- Create Development Permit Design Guidelines
- Present Draft Neighbourhood Plan to Council (Fall 2012)
Planning & Development Department