COQUITLAM, B.C., Aug. 7, 2020 – September recreation programs in Coquitlam for people of all ages and interests – reformatted to protect public health – will be open for registration starting Wednesday, Aug. 12.
More than 100 modified programs will be offered online, and at indoor facilities this fall as the City proceeds with its reopening framework, guided by B.C.’s Restart Plan. Program information will be posted Monday, Aug. 10 at www.coquitlam.ca/registration.
All in-person activities have been adapted to ensure safe distancing, hand hygiene, reduced touchpoints and other health precautions, and registration will be required for access to any recreation facility.
Expanded Offerings this Fall
For individuals, this fall’s regular registered programs will include:
- Skating and swimming lessons at Poirier Sport & Leisure Complex (PSLC);
- Fitness and swimming sessions at City Centre Aquatic Complex (CCAC);
- A variety of parent-and-tot, family, children, youth and adult programs, including fitness, wellness, crafts and general interest, at Poirier and Pinetree Community Centres and Centennial Activity Centre; and
- Seniors’ activity groups, fitness, wellness and general interest programs at Dogwood and Glen Pine Pavilions.
Program Information Online Monday, Aug. 10
While there is no printed program guide for the fall offerings, September program information will be posted at www.coquitlam.ca/registration just after midnight on Monday, Aug. 10.
Online registration will begin Wednesday, Aug. 12 at 8:30 a.m. through www.coquitlam.ca/registration (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) and by phone at 604-927-4386 Thursday, Aug. 13 at 8:30 a.m. (weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except for statutory holidays), and on Saturdays effective Aug. 15 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
What to Expect for Indoor Activities and Programs
When you attend one of our facilities, you’ll notice that things are a bit different. The only public allowed inside will be a registered patron, and we have assigned different entrances for the type of activity to ensure we can limit the number of human interactions and reduce potential risk of exposure to COVID-19. Details and maps are at www.coquitlam.ca/registration.
All registered users will be asked not to loiter in the facilities. There will be queues for arrival, and once a facility user has finished their session, staff will be requesting them to leave promptly.
Each site has a safety plan including:
- Training of staff;
- Use of appointments and registration to ensure physical distancing;
- Physical alterations to ensure distancing, such as Plexiglas barriers, signs and floor markings;
- Changes to practices and programs to reduce touchpoints and ensure distancing;
- Limiting group sizes and adjusting locations as necessary; and
- Enhanced cleaning of touchpoints.
The City’s plans are flexible – they may be scaled back or modified to protect public health, or they may be gradually expanded based on safety and demand.
Register and Stay Informed
To ensure you can sign up for the activities you are interested in and to keep up-to-date on ongoing course offerings and the latest updates, please do the following: