COQUITLAM, B.C., Sept. 9, 2020 – Construction on the next phase of expansion to Cottonwood Park is anticipated to begin in 2021 and will include sport fields, a multi-use court and activity hub.
On Tuesday, City staff presented the concept design for Phase 1B, the next step of the multi-phase expansion plan that is anticipated to eventually grow Cottonwood Park, between Cottonwood Avenue and Foster Avenue, to 11.5 acres.
New Amenities Coming
Phase 1B of the expansion is set to begin construction in spring 2021 and will include:
- A dual-purpose softball and soccer field;
- A multi-sport court;
- An activity hub featuring built-in street hockey nets, outdoor exercise area with urban parkour elements and social space; and
- Outdoor games tables.
The Phase 1B budget is $3.58 million, part of which will be covered by $1.7 million in developer contributions, a $500,000 surplus from Phase 1A, and $700,000 from Concert Properties for design and construction.
Final Design Incorporates Public Feedback
In 2016, staff conducted a public information session and survey to provide information and gather feedback on the proposed conceptual design layout, programming and phasing of the Cottonwood Park expansion, which led to the development of the overall park concept plan in 2017.
Residents will be kept informed about the project stages through a variety of ways including onsite signage, ads in the Tri-City News, social media, and direct mail to homes near the park site. Updates will also be regularly available at www.coquitlam.ca/parkprojects.
More to Come in Future Phases
Phase 1C, the next phase of planned park improvements, is anticipated to provide lit tennis courts and a park trail connection to Cottonwood Avenue.
Future phases for the park’s expansion have earmarked additional parking, sport fields, tennis courts, pickle ball amenities and other facilities. The completion of future Phases 2 and 3 of the park development will depend on the timeline to secure additional properties.
The Long-Term Vision for Cottonwood Park
Cottonwood Park’s final planned size of 11.5 acres was identified in the Burquitlam-Lougheed Neighbourhood Plan, and recognizes the area’s rapid growth, development and demand for outdoor recreation services. The detailed design for Phase 1B reflects the public feedback provided in 2016 during development of the Plan.
Currently, Cottonwood Park is 2.6 acres and features a spray park, washrooms, playground and youth areas that were added in 2019 during Phase 1A of the expansion.
Additional information about the Cottonwood Park project is available at www.coquitlam.ca/parkprojects.
To stay up to date about news and updates from the City of Coquitlam:
- Subscribe to the PRC E-news Newsletter at www.coquitlam.ca/enews to receive bi-weekly parks, recreation and culture updates;
- Check out the weekly City Page on page 6 of the Tri-City News or at www.coquitlam.ca/connect;
- Follow CityofCoquitlam on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn; and
- Download the free CoquitlamConnect app from the App Store or Google Play, or through the links at www.coquitlam.ca/coquitlamconnect.
- Stay up to date about changes to City services and facilities during the pandemic by following the City’s social media channels and at www.coquitlam.ca/covid19.