COQUITLAM, B.C., Nov. 18, 2020 – As the holiday season approaches, the City is once again showcasing Coquitlam businesses and encouraging residents to shop close to home.
Coquitlam’s Give Local campaign launches this week with contests, insider shopping tips and promotion of local retailers, restaurants and other businesses. It’s the City’s latest effort to support businesses and boost the local economy during the pandemic.
Tune in to Tourism Coquitlam’s (@visitcoquitlam) social media channels or www.visitcoquitlam.ca/givelocal until Dec. 18 for contest opportunities and the scoop on local places to safely shop, eat, drink and be pampered.
Businesses Invited to Participate
Coquitlam is purchasing gift cards and prize packages from $25 to $50 from local businesses for Give Local contest giveaways throughout the holiday season. Interested businesses are invited to contact the City’s Economic Development Office at 604-927-3905 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Prize purchases will take place on a first-come, first-served basis.
Participating businesses will also be profiled on the City’s social media channels through contesting promotion.
Give Local and Tune in for Prizes
Local businesses are the heart of the community, and your holiday shopping dollars can go a long way to helping them make it through these challenging times.
A few ways to Give Local:
- Peruse local stores and services for presents or gift cards for loved ones, friends, coworkers and neighbours;
- Buy groceries, household necessities and holiday meal fixings in the community;
- Browse local shops for the perfect outfit and accessories for seasonal gatherings with your household or social bubble;
- Enjoy a refreshment at a local café or pub while out shopping or running errands;
- Simplify meal time with takeout, pick-up or dine-in options from local restaurants; and
- Post about great local businesses on social media, tagging #GiveLocalCQ.
Those who prefer a contactless shopping experience are encouraged to contact their local retailers for online or curbside shopping options.
Join Coquitlam’s Efforts to #SupportLocal
The City of Coquitlam participates in the Tri-Cities #SupportLocal campaign and also hosts its own initiatives to assist local businesses, many of which are struggling at this time. Coquitlam strongly encourages residents to #SupportLocal for their shopping and meals; go to www.wegotthistricities.com to view business listings and www.visitcoquitlam.ca for a directory of 200+ Coquitlam restaurants offering takeout, dine-in and delivery. See also the Support Local video on the City of Coquitlam YouTube channel (https://youtu.be/pg2IQdEZolE) to learn more.
Supporting Our Community During the Pandemic
The City of Coquitlam is here to help, with these resources:
- www.coquitlam.ca/csrp: Details about the City’s Community Support and Recovery Plan, which is supporting non-profits, businesses and residents through the pandemic;
- www.coquitlam.ca/spirit: Free activities for all ages, including fitness, arts and culture, outdoor activities and ways to stay engaged; and
- www.coquitlam.ca/covid19: City service updates and COVID-19 health resources.
Stay up-to-date about City news and service changes by:
Manager, Land Development
Acting Manager, Economic Development
City of Coquitlam