COQUITLAM, B.C., July 22, 2021 – An expanded array of recreation opportunities will greet Coquitlam residents when fall program registration begins next week.
Coquitlam is planning for increased class sizes and more variety in its fall registered programming as it prepares to move into Step 4 of the BC Restart Plan in September. Registration opens on July 28 – go to www.coquitlam.ca/registration for information and registration links.
Check Online in Advance for Program Offerings
Residents can get a sneak peek at the City’s fall programs at www.coquitlam.ca/registration starting at 8:30 a.m. on July 26. A mix of virtual and in-person registered programs will be available for all age groups and interests, including:
- Early years – gymnastics, Explore the World series, skating, try-it activities and sports;
- Children – arts, games, chess, badminton, hockey and try-it sports;
- Youth – badminton, barre fitness, hip hop, drama, crafts, virtual and in-person Home Alone training, skating and tennis;
- Outdoor recreation – in-person Baby and Me, backcountry navigation and beginner hikes, as well as virtual intermediate hike info sessions;
- Indoor fitness – Adult and baby yoga, barre and virtual fit 360; and
- Adult – acrylics, drawing, badminton, belly dance, pickleball and ice skating
All programs are offered in-line with current health protocols. Since July 1, recreation patrons have had more freedom to move around City facilities and are no longer required to wear masks indoors – although masks continue to be recommended, particularly for those 12 years and older who have not had two doses of vaccine.
Some program requirements, such as parent participation for children under six, may be changing in September so patrons are encouraged to read the program descriptions carefully and contact the recreation customer service line with any questions.
Fall Registration Begins July 28
Registration options include:
- Starting July 28 at 8:30 a.m., online registration available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Starting July 29 at 8:30 a.m., phone registration at 604-927-4386 weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Starting July 29 at 8:30 a.m., in-person registration at Coquitlam recreation facilities.
Changes Coming to Pre-registered Drop-ins
On August 9, select drop-in activities will move away from pre-registration and revert back to in-person drop-in:
- Public swimming at all City pools (PSLC, CCAC, Eagle Ridge, Spani)
- Public skating at PSLC (excluding select specialty drop-ins such as Stick, Ring and Puck)
- Weight room access at PSLC (Innovation Centre will remain pre-registered)
- Youth gymnasium court bookings.
All other drop-in activities will remain pre-registered, including Stick, Ring and Puck, group fitness classes, the Innovation Centre weight room and adult gymnasium court bookings to help manage capacity and provide an enhanced customer service experience.
To support residents as they return to recreation activities, the City is continuing to subsidize the temporary reduction in drop-in fees over the summer – $1 for children, youth and seniors, $2 for adults and $5 for families – through its Community Support and Recovery Plan.
Coquitlam a Leader During Pandemic Operations
Coquitlam was one of the first Metro Vancouver municipalities to successfully re-open facilities, including recreation programming and City Hall, beginning in June 2020. Coquitlam is also one of the few municipalities that was able to keep these important services open throughout subsequent waves of the pandemic, with the exception of PHO orders related to specific areas of the City’s business (e.g. indoor group fitness classes, adult non-fitness and sport programming, etc.).
Since the onset of the pandemic, the City of Coquitlam has been operating with sound operational health and safety plans in alignment with Provincial health orders. For more information about the City’s response and services during the pandemic, visit www.coquitlam.ca/covid19.
Register and Stay Informed
To sign up for activities and to keep up-to-date on program offerings and updates:
Stay informed about City news and service changes by:
Clicking www.coquitlam.ca/notifyme to use the customizable new NotifyMeTM subscription service.
Manager Community Recreation and Culture Services