COQUITLAM, B.C., Oct. 13, 2021 – Throughout the pandemic, the City of Coquitlam has operated in lockstep with BC’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO) requirements and guidance.
The PHO announced yesterday that masks are mandatory for anyone five years and older when visiting indoor public spaces. Effective immediately, this will apply to all City facilities, including City Hall, Community Recreation Centres, and the Austin Works Yards. Information on mask requirements and exemptions can be found on the provincial government’s website, www.gov.bc.ca/covid19restrictions.
Proof of vaccination is also required for visitors 12 years and older in certain recreation facilities and programs in Coquitlam, following direction from the PHO.
When and where the BC Vaccine Card is required in City facilities:
- Facility Lobby: Proof of vaccination is not required to enter our facility lobbies, as the requirements change depending on the program you are attending. It is only required once you access your intended area or program (such as the program room, ice rink or fitness centre).
- General Recreation Program: Not required for programs with less than 50 people, unless the program is adult sport, exercise, fitness or dance.
- Swimming Pool: No proof of vaccination is required unless you're attending an event at the pool such as a swim meet or birthday party.
- Arena: Many skating activities, such as drop-in public skate, are exempt from proof of vaccination. People participating in adult sports, such as drop-in adult hockey, are required to show proof of vaccination.
- Fitness Centre or Group Fitness Class: Proof of vaccination is required for everyone 12 years and older unless attending a children or youth-specific program.
- Spectators: You will be asked to show proof of vaccination if there are more than 50 spectators, or it is anticipated more than 50 spectators will attend an activity, program or event such as a swim meet or hockey tournament. The event organizer, which may not be the City, is responsible for checking proof of vaccination.
For a full list of when and where proof of vaccination is required in Coquitlam recreation facilities, visit www.coquitlam.ca/covid19.
Stay Up to Date on City Projects and Initiatives
Stay up to date about City news and service changes by:
Manager, Community Recreation and Culture Services
City of Coquitlam