COQUITLAM, B.C., Dec. 22, 2021 – The City of Coquitlam will be temporarily suspending group fitness and weight room recreation in City facilities following the announcement of new provincial restrictions on Tuesday.
Effective Dec. 22 at 11:59 p.m., gyms, fitness centres and dance studios must close until Jan. 18, 2022. This will affect weight rooms at Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex (PSLC) and City Centre Aquatic Complex (CCAC), Glen Pine Pavilion, and Pinetree Community Centre, as well as drop-in and pre-registered group fitness programs at all City recreation facilities.
The start dates for registered weekly fitness programs will be postponed until the order is lifted. The City will issue refunds for any pre-registered classes or drop-ins cancelled as a result of the order. Patrons may request membership cancellations by emailing email@example.com.
At this time, the City’s pools, arenas, gymnasiums and recreation centres continue to be open, and hours remain unchanged (subject to holiday hours Dec. 24 to Jan. 4). Seated events, such as spectators at arenas or swimming pools, will be at 50 per cent capacity. Please visit www.coquitlam.ca/registration for details.
Programs that are excluded from the order and remain open include:
- Programs for children and youth, including day camps
- Non-fitness recreation programs, such as arts, crafts, music, talks and lectures, and sport and active play
- Sports, including adult sport are permitted (except tournaments)
- Public swim and aquafit, public skating, and drop-in sports
Indoor organized gatherings of any kind will not be permitted.
Additionally, while the Lights at Lafarge will still be on until Jan. 31, planned Park Spark pop-up activities have been cancelled for the remainder of the season. Lights at Lafarge visitors are encouraged to come early or late on weekdays, or wait until the New Year, to help minimize crowds during peak periods. Visit www.coquitlam.ca/lights for more information.
Masks and Vaccine Requirements
Masks remain required in all indoor public spaces.
Proof of vaccination using the BC Vaccine Card is required for those 12 years and older and covers:
- Events at City facilities
- Adult sports of any size
- Drop-in activities and adult sports at arenas and gymnasiums (Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex arenas, Poirier Forum, Pinetree and Centennial Activity Centre gymnasiums)
- Swimming pools, including drop-in, aquafit and pre-registered lessons (Poirier Sport and Leisure Complex, City Centre Aquatic Complex)
- Adult coaches, referees, volunteers and helpers assisting with child or youth sport or programs
- All recreation programs (fitness and non-fitness), except for those ages 12-21 participating in a program for children or youth
- Spectators at events or in or near program areas
Proof of vaccination will not be required for the following:
- Children under the age of 12
- Those ages 12 - 21 participating in a program for children or youth, including day camps
- Before and after school programs
- Teachers/instructors providing education activities with their students in City facilities
- Rehab or exercise therapy programs
- Government activities and services, including voting
For more information on Coquitlam’s current recreation offerings and public health safety measures, visit www.coquitlam.ca/registration.
Stay Up to Date on City Projects and Initiatives
Stay up to date about City news and service changes by:
EOC Public Information Officer
City of Coquitlam