COQUITLAM, B.C., June 5, 2020 – Coquitlam released its 2019 Annual Report to the public today, offering a look back at the City’s focus areas and accomplishments last year.
The statutory document is posted at www.coquitlam.ca/annualreport and provides a concise review of the City’s strategic goals, achievements, future priorities and the City’s financial position at the end of 2019.
Highlights from 2019 include progress on the new YMCA and the City Centre Area Plan, the adoption of an updated Strategic Plan, being named one of B.C.’s Top Employers for the third year in a row, an international win in the Communities in Bloom competition, and many advances in technology the City has implemented, such as the launch of a new City mobile app and expanded free Wi-Fi around the city.
Some of the work – including ongoing efforts to build a strong financial position through a cautious and methodical approach – has helped to lay the financial foundation that is supporting the City during the challenging times today.
Building on 2019 Achievements
The City’s work in 2019 was structured around five goals in the Strategic Plan.
Efforts in 2019 to create safe and complete neighbourhoods included:
- Developing the draft City Centre Area Plan;
- Finalizing a partnership agreement to bring a YMCA and other amenities to Burquitlam;
- Continuing to make progress on the Housing Affordability Strategy; and
- Reduced vehicle collision injuries and deaths.
Achievements related to the local economy and jobs included:
- A 50 per cent increase in housing starts from 2018;
- Adding more than 16,000 square metres of commercial, industrial and institutional space;
- Launching the www.visitcoquitlam.ca tourism website;
- Introducing the TCP Eats food vendor program at Town Centre Park; and
- Increasing business access to the City’s QNet fibreoptic network.
Results from 2019 related to a healthy community and active citizens included:
- More than a million paid admissions at recreation facilities;
- An increase in people enjoying recreation through the City’s financial assistance program;
- More than 167,000 people in attendance at 82 civic events and festivals throughout 2019 – up 12 per cent from 2018; and
- Community engagement in numerous enhancement projects that led to an international Communities in Bloom win.
In terms of sustainable services, environment and infrastructure, activities included:
- Launching the CoquitlamConnect app, which provides free access to City news, events, parks and facility information, job information, WiFi spots, online services and more;
- Expanding public WiFi locations;
- Continuing progress on an environmental sustainability strategy;
- Planning for more City electric vehicle charging stations; and
- Allocating surplus 2018 funds to transportation infrastructure, safety and multi-modal alternatives.
Achievements related to excellence in City governance included:
- Developing and adopting a 2020-2032 Strategic Plan to lead the community forward;
- Consulting with the community on key projects such as the draft City Centre Area Plan, the new Strategic Plan, Child Care Strategy, Commercial Zoning Review, Northeast Community Centre and Oakdale land-use options;
- Winning a BC Municipal Safety Association Organization Safety Excellence Award; and
- Being named one of B.C.’s top employers for the third year in a row.
The audited financial results show that the City’s financial standing continues to remain strong, with an increase in financial assets from additions to capital and statutory reserves.
Consolidated revenues for 2019 totaled $479 million, up $47 million from 2018. This increase is attributed to development-related revenues and contributions due to continued growth, as well as increased activity in City programs and services, such as those delivered through community recreation facilities.
Expenses increased slightly from 2018 due to extreme weather events and the costs associated with the addition of new assets and infrastructure.
Award-Winning Financial Reporting
For the 18th consecutive year, the City of Coquitlam received the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Canadian Award for Financial Reporting (2018). The City has also received the Outstanding Achievement in Popular Annual Reporting Award (2018) and Distinguished Budget Presentation Award (2019). The 2019 Annual Report will also be submitted to the GFOA for consideration for this year’s awards.
To view the complete 2019 Annual Report or find out how to obtain a copy, visit www.coquitlam.ca/annualreport.
City Budget Data Available Online
Learn more about City budgets and spending on Coquitlam’s new online financial tool. View a breakdown of capital and operating budgets, annual expenses, and new and ongoing projects.
Available data includes:
- Capital Budgets – a breakdown of the 5-year capital budget down to the project level
- Project Explorer - a highlight of select new and ongoing projects
- Operating Budgets – a breakdown of the operating budget down to the business unit
- 2019 Annual Revenues and Expenses - the City’s most recent audited financial statement data
Visit the online data tool at http://coquitlam.openbook.questica.com