COQUITLAM, B.C., March 30, 2022 – As Coquitlam residents start working on spring yard clean-ups, the City’s Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings program can help with the collection of extra yard waste material.
Starting Monday, April 4 until Friday, May 13, Coquitlam residents who receive Garbage and Green Cart collection from the City can put out unlimited yard trimmings and grass clippings for pick up as part of their weekly Green Cart collection on their regular collection day.
Yard Trimming Set-Out Options
During the Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings period, there are a number of options for setting out additional yard trimmings at the curbside on your collection day:
- Use garbage cans labelled with Yard Trimmings stickers or kraft paper bags. (Yard Trimmings stickers are free and available for pick up from the Engineering counter at Coquitlam City Hall or from the City Centre and Poirier Public libraries.)
- Bundle and tie branches that are less than 7.5 centimeter (3 inches) in diameter and no more than 1 meter (3 feet) in length.
Know the Rules
- Place all food scraps in your City-issued Green Cart only – food scraps can not be placed in kraft bags or in labelled Yard Trimmings’ cans.
- City-issued carts can not to be set out before 5:30 a.m. on collection days, even if the Green Cart contains only yard trimmings (fines may apply as per Solid Waste Bylaw).
- Each bag, can or bundle of extra yard trimmings must weigh less than 20 kilograms (44 pounds).
- Yard trimmings must not block sidewalks, laneways or streets.
- Sod, rocks, soil and plastic bags are not accepted.
During this program, extra yard trimmings are picked up by a separate truck and may be collected after your regular Green Cart collection. Trucks will be working until 7:30 p.m. on collection days so please leave material out all day. If your material is missed, please leave it at the curb and report it to Coquitlam’s collection contractor in the morning (Green Carts cannot be left at the curb overnight): Waste Connections of Canada, 604-636-3520.
About Coquitlam’s Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings Program
Coquitlam’s Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings program runs for six weeks twice a year – once in the spring and again in the fall – to help residents dispose of yard waste at the start and end of the growing season. Since the program started, the amount of yard waste material collected has doubled to almost 550 tonnes per year. All of the collected material is brought to the City’s green waste processing contractor and, along with Green Cart material, is turned into compost that can be used for gardens and lawns.
For more information on the Seasonal Unlimited Yard Trimmings program as well as options for managing yard trimmings year-round, visit www.coquitlam.ca/yardtrimmings or call Coquitlam’s Waste Reduction team at 604-927-3500.
Sign Up for Handy Collection Day Reminders
Download Coquitlam’s Curbside Collection App to get collection day reminders, including changes for statutory holidays and seasonal yard trimmings collection dates. Visit www.coquitlam.ca/recollect to download the app or to set-up phone, email or Twitter reminders.
Solid Waste and Special Projects Manger