Bylaw Enforcement

home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

Coquitlam Cracks Down on Unauthorized Supply Sales

Bylaw Enforcement Officers are investigating complaints received from the public on those who are cashing in on the COVID-19 pandemic by selling medical, cleaning and other hard-to-find supplies from their home, vehicle or roadside stand without a business licence. Residents are encouraged to report unauthorized sales to 604-927-7387 or (leave a message if after hours). Bylaw Enforcement operates Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., and on weekends and statutory holidays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The City has the authority to fine non-compliant vendors $500 per day through the Business Licence Bylaw.

Complaints & Enforcement

The City uses a variety of enforcement measures - ​our preferred method is to explain to people who are violating the City's bylaws, the need for the bylaws and, if possible, obtain voluntary compliance.

The Bylaw Enforcement Policy outlines a standardized approach in order to ensure investigations are prioritized in a uniform way, as well as to ensure a fair and efficient complaint process.​

Bylaw enforcement occurs through a tiered process of achieving bylaw compliance by means of:

  • Community education,
  • Voluntary compliance on a case by case basis,
  • Formal legal proceedings such as tickets, impoundments and/or court proceedings (if voluntary compliance is not achieved).

Report a Bylaw Complaint 

To report a bylaw complaint, please call Bylaw Enforcement at 604-927-7387 or 604-927-3085 or email If after hours, please leave a message or send an email and a staff member will be in touch with you.

  • To make a request for service, including requests for stray dogs or cats, deceased animals, dog attacks and illegally parked vehicles, among others, please call 604-927-7387.
  • For concerns involving businesses, including Business Licensing and noise, zoning or the unsightliness of commercial/business properties, please call 604-927-3085.
  • To make a complaint about a strata property, such as a townhome or mobile homes, you must forward your complaint to the strata management company or strata council. If you are not a resident of the strata property (i.e. you live at a neighbouring property), you may phone us for assistance.

NOTE: The City will not accept anonymous complaints. The City keeps the identity of every complainant confidential unless the complainant has agreed to be identified. When submitting a request for service, we ask that you have the exact address where the alleged violation has occurred. We are unable to attend complaints based on description of a house or area.​

Traffic Violations

For traffic violations, tickets may be issued without a previous warning. Drivers are expected to familiarize themselves with all street, traffic and parking laws and regulations. The City may also have vehicles towed if needed. Impoundment will be automatic where a vehicle is parked:

  • in front of a fire hydrant,
  • in a marked fire zone or fire lane,
  • over a pedestrian crosswalk,
  • blocking access to commercial or residential driveways, or
  • on a public street and is unlicensed.

If your vehicle has been impounded, please contact Coquitlam Towing at 604-939-6474.

Bylaw Enforcement Notices, Disputes & Adjudication

Visit our Bylaw Enforcement Notices, Disputes & Adjudication​ page for more information.

Good Neighbours Make Great Neighbourhoods

Bylaws are the rules that shape how our city community lives.

Coquitlam is a community of inclusive neighbourhoods where residents like to do their part and contribute to our outstanding quality of life. Bylaws provide the tools to do this and help shape how our community lives.

We have designed this brochure to provide our residents with some general information on several of our most common bylaws that help us live together, get along and improve our standard of living. These bylaws support public safety and community harmony: Animal Control, Litter, Noise, Smoking and Unsightly Premises.

Below we have more details on the formal complaint process and how our department manages complaints. Visit the links for more information:

What does Bylaw Enforcement Do?

Coquitlam's Bylaw Enforcement, Business Licensing & Animal Services Department is a part of the City of Coquitlam’s Legal Department and is responsible for Bylaw Enforcement.

We investigate various allegations of bylaw contraventions and endeavor to resolve complaints through education and voluntary compliance when appropriate.

Bylaw Enforcement Officers enforce various bylaws and rules dealing with a wide-range of municipal regulations including these which are not listed above:

  • Unsightly Premises,
  • Street & Traffic (Parking),
  • Zoning,
  • Commercial Vehicles (trucks) 
  • Secondary Suites,
  • Smoking (download signs here)
  • Signs,
  • Business Licences, and more!

We provide services and take complaints for bylaw violations for the City of Coquitlam only.

Office Locations

Coquitlam Animal Shelter

500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam BC,  V3K 7B6
Phone: 604-927-7387
Fax: 604-927-7388

Reporting Hours: 
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday and Stat. Holidays 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 

Coquitlam City Hall

3000 Guildford Way, Coquitlam BC V3B 7N2
Phone: 604-927-3085

Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays Closed