Making a Claim With the City

home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

If you believe your property has been damaged because of work done by the City of Coquitlam and you wish to make a claim against the City, you may do so by written notice and by completing a City of Coquitlam Claim Form.

Please note that your right to make a claim may be time limited. Your written notice should include the following information:

  • your name, home address and telephone numbers where you can be reached during the day;
  • what was damaged;
  • how the damage occurred;
  • where the damage occurred, being as specific as possible;
  • the date and time of the incident; and
  • name(s) of anyone else involved, including contractors, equipment operators, etc. and their contact information if available. 

Any photographs you take may be included with your letter, or provided at a later date. Please include all original invoices and bills of sale, and retain damaged property for possible future inspection.

City of Coquitlam Claim Form

You may submit your claim by mail or fax to:

City of Coquitlam
Attention: City Clerk’s Office
3000 Guildford Way
Coquitlam, B.C.  V3B 7N2

Fax: 604-927-3015

Claims Process

You will receive written acknowledgement of your claim submission. The Legal Division will then conduct an investigation into the claim. Once all the information generated by the division has been reviewed, a decision regarding compensation will be made. You will be advised of this decision as soon as possible. Please note that it may take several weeks to conduct a thorough investigation. Payment of a claim is dependent on legal liability on the part of the City. For more information, please see Types of Losses below.

Claims Settlement

A submission of a claim does not constitute acceptance of liability on the part of the City. Payment of a claim will require that the City be found legally liable for the damages that you have incurred. Claims will be investigated, without prejudice, based on the facts as they present themselves and under standard legal practices and principles. Please also note that the City will not pay claims based on estimates or anticipated costs. In the event that the City is legally responsible for damages that you may have incurred, the City will require paid invoices be submitted before any payment for damages will be made.

The City is committed to settlements that are fair and reasonable and within standard industry and legal practice. You can expect to be treated with respect and in a professional manner, and City staff should expect the same in return. 

Although you may not always get the answer you desire, the City will provide the basis for its position and do its best to explain the rationale behind the decisions it makes regarding claims.

Appeal Process

Should you wish to appeal a decision that the City has made concerning your claim, you may do so through the Provincial Court of B.C or Supreme Court of B.C. The Mayor and/or Council do not entertain appeals on claims-related matters.  

Filing a Claim with Your Insurance Provider

Notify your insurance company of the damage. Your insurance policy may provide coverage for your damage, and this may be the quickest way to recover costs and have the repairs done. Your insurance company can then pursue any party they believe to be responsible for the damage.

Types of Losses

Expand all

  • Construction Projects

  • Potholes and Road Hazards

  • Sewer Back-up

  • Water Main Breaks

City of Coquitlam
Attention: City Clerk’s Office
3000 Guildford Way,
Coquitlam BC V3B 7N2
Fax: 604-927-3015