201​​8

Dec 07, 2018 Return to Headlines

Have a Safe and Fun Holiday Season

by Colleen Smith |

COQUITLAM, BC, December 7, 2018 – With people getting ready for the holiday season and colder, longer evenings underway, Coquitlam Fire / Rescue is reminding residents to stay safe this holiday season.

Coquitlam Fire/Rescue wishes everyone a happy holiday season and offer the following tips to protect your family and home:

  • Ensure your light sets are approved, in good condition, and that they don’t overload circuits.
  • Natural trees should be freshly cut and watered daily. Or, select an artificial tree that is fire retardant.
  • Choose battery-operated, flameless candles.
  • Do not leave your cooking unattended. During the holiday season, cooking brings family and friends together, it provides an outlet for creativity, and can be relaxing.  But, did you know that cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries? Stay in the kitchen, and pay attention while cooking!
  • Ensure all home heating appliances like furnaces, gas fireplaces, chimneys, space heaters, etc. are in good working condition and placed at least 1 meter away from flammable materials.
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location of your home as per manufacturer's instructions. Called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely in the home. The carbon monoxide that builds up inside the home can cause serious illness or be fatal.
  • Be sure there is a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and that all family members can recognize its sound - smoke alarms save lives. And they make great Christmas gifts, too!
  • Ensure your family has an emergency escape plan that inlcudes the correct routes to get out of your house in case there is a fire, and know and practice at least two ways out of every room, if possible.

For more information visit www.coquitlam.ca/seasonalsafety.

 
Media contact:
Fire Prevention Office
604-927-6400