home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

Coquitlam’s Pesticide Use Control Bylaw

Since Coquitlam City Council adopted the Pesticide Use Control Bylaw No. 4254 on April 23rd, 2012, many pesticides can no longer be used for garden and lawn beautification or maintenance on residential and City land, even if they are legally allowed for sale.

As per the bylaw, retailers of pesticides in Coquitlam MUST display the Schedule B notice where banned pesticides are for sale. Failure to post Schedule B may result in a $300 fine.

Are all pesticides now restricted?

Most conventional pesticides, including products labeled herbicide, insecticide, fungicide or combined fertilizer/herbicide products (often referred to as “weed and feed”) are now restricted, except:

  • Pesticides listed as Permitted Pesticides, and
  • Biological pest controls (including nematodes, lady beetles and bacterial pesticides such as Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt).

How do I know if a pesticide is restricted or permitted?

Read the label.  Common active ingredients in most conventional pesticides, such as 2,4-D, Mecoprop, Dicamba, Glyphosate, Carbaryl and Malathion are now restricted under the Bylaw.

However, many safer alternatives are available, effective and exempt from the Bylaw.  If the active ingredient of your product is on the Permitted Pesticide list, it is still allowed by this Bylaw.

How can I dispose of pesticides?

Pesticides should never be disposed of through storm sewers or household drains. Pesticides may be taken to the Biggar Bottle Depot at 2577 Kingsway Avenue, Port Coquitlam or the Coquitlam Transfer Station at 1200 United Boulevard, Coquitlam where they accept, free of charge, consumer pesticides that have both the poisonous (skull and crossbones) symbol and Pest Control Product (PCP) number. Unidentifiable products will not be accepted and returned products must be in clearly marked and tightly sealed containers. Maximum container size is 10 Litres. Visit Regeneration for further information.

Unused pesticide products having no labels may be picked-up by a hazardous waste company. Phone the BC Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (732-9253) or visit for more information on companies in your area.

Can I use pesticides on Giant Hogweed?

Giant Hogweed poses a serious threat to human health and the environment.  If you find Giant Hogweed on your property, it needs to be removed as per the City's Noxious Weed Bylaw No. 4181, 2010.  It is best to let a professional remove this plant and to follow Work Safe BC instructions on their safety bulletin and video. The Pesticide Use Control Bylaw does not apply to the use of a pesticide in response to a human or animal health issue and the use of pesticides is permitted for the removal of Giant Hogweed. 

Can I use pesticides to treat the European Chafer Beetle?

The City does not allow the use of pesticides on residential or civic properties to treat the European Chafer Beetle.  This includes products such as Merit, Sevin or Arena that contain the active ingredients imidacloprid, clothianidin, or carbaryl. Biological pest control using nematodes (Heterorhabditis bacteriophora) is the recommended treatment option.  Please visit our European Chafer Beetle page for prevention and treatment options. 


Expand all

  • Protect Our Pollinators

  • Chafer Beetle

  • Weed Out Invasive Plants

  • Banned Pesticides

  • Safe Alternatives

Engineering & Public Works Customer Service

Engineering Emergency Services for Water, Sewer and Roads

24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week

Phone: 604-927-3500