Conservation Permits

home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

A Conservation Permit is required when moving, removing or depositing soil in excess of 500 cubic metres or when changing the grade of a property by more than one metre (1m). Conservation Permit applications must include technical information from an appropriate qualified professional(s) to ensure the excavation is safe and addresses all appropriate requirements, in accordance with the Soil Conservation Bylaw.

For further information on how to apply for a Soils Conservation Permit, please refer to the Soils Conservation Guide.

Note: This webpage is provided only as a guide for public use and convenience. Changes to the information outlined may be made where circumstances warrant. Please consult the City's bylaws and other documents including the Community Charter, Local Government Act, and Land Title Act.

Planning & Development Department