Complaint Process

home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

To report bylaw contraventions that occurred in Coquitlam only such as dogs running at large, dog attacks, barking dogs, dogs off leash, as well as to report violations of other bylaws, you can call, email, mail, or send a fax to Bylaw Enforcement.

When you file a report we need the following details:

  • Your name, address and phone number as we do not accept anonymous complaints;
  • A description of the incident or issue, with as much information as you can give;
  • The address or location where the issue or incident occurred;
  • In the event of a dog bite, the contact information for the other dog and/or owner.

The City keeps the identity of every complainant confidential unless:

  • the complainant has agreed to be identified; or
  • the matter has resulted in tickets being issued to the offender, and the complainant is required to provide a statement or evidence at adjudication; or
  • the matter has resulted in prosecution, and the complainant is required to testify in court. If the matter were to go to court or result in tickets, we would contact you and ask if you are prepared to testify in court, or have your evidence used at adjudication. Should you decide that you did not want your information disclosed, you will remain completely anonymous, but in so doing, you withdraw your complaint.

When submitting a request for service, we ask that you have the exact address where the alleged violation has occurred. We will not attend complaints based on description of a house or area. You may use QtheMap, a handy tool provided by the City of Coquitlam, to determine an address of a particular location.

If your complaint pertains to a strata property (such as a townhome) or mobile homes, you must forward your complaint to the management company or the strata council.

Will the City send me a reply for my complaint?

The Bylaw Officers try to follow-up with complainants but this may not always be possible due to workloads.  We kindly ask for your patience as we prioritize our enforcement activities.  Should you wish to speak to an officer you may call us.

The City will generally not call complainants back if the complaint is related to routine matters such as parking, dogs running at large, or requests for patrol of off-leash parks.

If you are reporting a dog bite, the Bylaw Department will send you a Dog Bite Statement form that will require additional information.

Reporting Hours

Monday to Friday - 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday and Statutory holidays - 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

After hours, an answering machine will be in place. Please leave a message and shelter staff will return your call the next working day. If your call is an emergency related to a vicious dog, please call the non-emergency RCMP number at 604-945-1550 or the 24hr Engineering Customer Service number at 604-927-3500.

Animal Abuse

We can assure compliance to basic standards of animal care required under the Animal Care and Control Bylaw No. 4240, 2011 (sec. 17), but the Provincial SPCA Cruelty Investigators are responsible for the enforcement of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and Wildlife issues are the responsibility of the BC Conservation Officer Service.

Coquitlam Animal Shelter

Phone: 604-927-7387 (604-927-PETS)
Fax: 604-927-7388
500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam, B.C. V3K 7B6
(Turn West off Mariner Way on Service Centre Driveway, just North of Austin Avenue)

Coquitlam Bylaw & Animal Services

Phone: 604-927-7387
Fax: 604-927-7388