home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

Traffic Calming

Traffic calming is used to control vehicle speed and volume on residential streets only. Types of calming include speed bumps, intersection roundabouts, medians, and curb bulges.

Traffic Calming Policy

If residents would like to have traffic calming installed in their neighbourhood, view the current Traffic Calming Policy.

Tri-Cities Speed Watch

Visit our Volunteering page for information on how to Volunteer with the Tri-Cities Speed Watch program.

Traffic Data

The City gathers traffic count data to:

  • Allow residents to see traffic volumes in their areas
  • To assist developers planning new projects
  • To study traffic impact on neighbourhoods

Each year, traffic counts are conducted in different areas of the City. Two basic types of traffic counts are conducted each year:

  1. 24-Hour Station Counts measure traffic volume at a location over a 24 hour period.
  2. Intersection Turning Movements count the movement of vehicles in an intersection.

How do I acquire traffic count data?

  • The Daily Traffic Volume Map shows a summary of average traffic volumes in Coquitlam.
  • Detailed traffic count data is available on the Traffic Volume Data System. The default map shows the average 24 hour traffic volumes. The Detail page shows the counts in a table for each day. Hourly volumes are shown by clicking on the eye icons beside each day. The numbers shown in the TMC (Turning Movement Count) tables are the volume for each 15-minute period. The peak hour diagrams show the hourly volume of each movement during the busiest hour of the period.

Traffic Cameras

For information on road conditions outside Coquitlam, check out the B.C. Highway Cams - DriveBC website to see the many traffic cameras around the region.

Traffic Signals & Signs 

The City of Coquitlam maintains about 160 traffic control signals and 30000 signs. The traffic signals inventory includes full signals, fire hall signals, and pedestrian signals. There are also many signals on Coquitlam's borders which are shared with other communities.

Traffic Signals

Problems With Traffic Signals

If you spot any problems with a traffic signal, it should be reported right away to Engineering Customer Service at 604-927-3500. Problems include lights burnt out, damage or vandalism, flashing red in all directions, trees or other obstacles blocking a clear view of the signal.

If a signal is completely out, there may be a power fail in the area. Many of Coquitlam's signals have battery back up and will continue to run for several hours. This is primarily on major routes. If a signal is completely out, 4-way stop procedures must be used.

Does the timing of the signal seem to be off? Two things can temporarily affect the timing of a signal. When power returns, normal operation may take a few minutes to resume. Fire vehicles have the ability to take over control of a signal when responding to an emergency. This may upset the signal timing for a short duration.

How do I find out if there was a problem with the traffic lights at the time of an accident?

Anyone can request information about the current timing of traffic signals or whether there has been a reported problem at a signalized intersection in the City. A request for timing information has to be processed by the City's Traffic Operations Division. There is a cost for this report requests can be made by contacting Engineering Customer Service.

Requests for video footage must be submitted by the RCMP with an investigation file number.

Street Signs

Coquitlam categorizes road signs into four types:

  • Regulatory Signs - These include parking restrictions, speed limits and stop signs. Regulatory signs designate rules which all users of the road must adhere too.
  • Warning Signs - These include curve ahead, median markers, and dead-end markers.  These signs are there to inform road users of potential hazards.
  • Information & Guide Signs - These include street names, no exit, and Coquitlam boundary signs.  These signs are used to provide users of the road with information on getting around.
  • Construction Signs - These are temporary signs which indicate construction activity or crews working.

If you spot any problems with a sign, report it to Engineering Customer Service. It is helpful if you can provide the exact location and type of sign that is of concern. This helps the sign maintenance crews prioritize which repairs need to happen first. Problems could include: Vandalism, missing signs, faded signs, or trees or other obstacles blocking a clear view of the sign.

U-turn Signage

Under section 168 of the Motor Vehicle Act making a u-turn is explicitly prohibited under five conditions:

  • On a curve,
  • Near the crest of a hill,
  • At an intersection with a traffic signal,
  • In a business district, except at an unsignalized intersection, or
  • Where prohibited by a sign.