Development Applications

home-alertCOVID-19: Things are evolving daily and the page below may not be current, get the latest updates on City facilities, services and programs at

Note also that many services are available online to continue to serve the community at this time.

Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic

LAST UPDATED: ​May 11, 2020

With construction considered an essential service in B.C., the City of Coquitlam is providing temporary measures to keep important construction and housing projects on track while continuing to protect public health.

The City thanks all applicants for their patience at this unprecedented time, and encourages them to take advantage of the full range of online eServices.

Planning & Development Service Updates:

More information:

Expand all

  • Temporary Noise Bylaw Extension

  • Building Permits

  • Building Inspections

  • EPlan

  • Development Applications

  • Digital Submissions and QFile Online File Transfer

  • Courier Deliveries & Pick-up

  • Payments

  • Contacting Planning & Development


The pre-application process provides a preliminary review for a subsequent, more detailed development application, including a Development Permit, Rezoning or Official Community Plan Amendment.

Development Permits

Development Permit Areas are designated in Coquitlam for one or more of the following purposes...

Development Variance Permits

Development Variance Permits are permits authorized by City Council to allow variances to certain requirements of the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Sign Bylaw, or Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw.

Official Community Plan Amendments

The City's Citywide Official Community Plan (OCP) is a comprehensive plan to guide future land use and address related needs for amenities, services, and infrastructure support.

Rezoning & Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments

The City's Zoning Bylaw implements the City's Official Community Plan by regulating land use and the general form and siting of development.

Sign Permits

Anyone intending to place a sign on the exterior of any building or structure, or on any property in the City, must make an application and obtain approval from the Planning and Development Department for a Sign Permit, prior to installation.


A subdivision of land can create two or more lots out of one lot, adjust an existing property (lot) line, or consolidate two or more lots into one.

Temporary Use Permits

A Temporary Use Permit allows a use of land, on a temporary basis, not otherwise permitted in the City’s Zoning Bylaw.

Heritage Revitalization Agreement

A Heritage Revitalization Agreement (HRA) is authorized by City Council, through a bylaw, to protect a heritage building or property.

Development Application Signs

All applicants pursuing Development Applications involving one or more of the following application types are required to install a development proposal sign on the development site.

Fees & Charges

Fees and charges are the costs associated with developing land, including but not limited to Development Cost Charges, purchasing City plan documents, licences and permits.