Reason for the Policy
To define the terms and conditions under which fees will be refunded when a customer withdraws from a registered recreation program.
Refunds for recreation program fees shall be made available according to the following conditions and guidelines:
A full refund of the program fee will be provided when:
- The program is cancelled.
- The program dates and/or times are changed after registration and before the start of the program and those changes are not suitable to the registrant.
- The registrant is withdrawn from a program at the discretion of program staff.
- The registrant transfers to a different program within the same date range as a result of a waitlist opening.
- For programs that are not “camps”, the withdrawal occurs 5 days or more before the 1st day of the program.
- For programs that are “camps” (see definition below), the withdrawal occurs 10 days or more before the 1st day of the program.
A partial refund will be provided as follows:
- For programs that are not “camps”, when the withdrawal occurs between 4 days before the 1st class and the day before the 1st class, the refund will consist of the fee paid less a service fee.
- For programs that are “camps”, when the withdrawal occurs between 9 days before the 1st class and the day before the 1st class, the refund will consist of the fee paid less a service fee.
- When the withdrawal occurs between the day of the 1st class and the day before the 3rd class, the refund will consist of the fee paid less the charge for classes that have elapsed and a service fee.
- When the date of a class(es) is rescheduled during the program and that date(s) is not suitable to the registrant, a refund for the rescheduled date(s) will be issued.
No refund will be provided when:
- The withdrawal occurs on the day of the 3rd class or after that day.
- The program or a fee component of the program has been specifically designated as non-refundable.
The effective date of the withdrawal is the date it was requested either in person at the customer service desk of a designated recreation facility or when the call was taken by the Parks, Recreation and Culture Customer Service line, regardless of the date the participant stopped attending the class. Non-attendance does not constitute notice of withdrawal.
The service fee is $5. Where a service fee is involved, it applies to each individual program for which a withdrawal occurs.
Camps are programs that occur on consecutive weekdays involving half day or full day participation.
Refunds are issued in the same currency as the original payment. If the refund is greater than $60 and original payment was made in cash or by cheque, the refund shall be made by means of a cheque issued by the City of Coquitlam. Where payment was made by cheque, 10 business days must elapse prior to a refund being processed.
- For programs that are enabled for online withdrawals, customers can withdraw online up to 5 days or more before the 1st day of the program.
- Programs that are not enabled for online withdrawals (ie: camps) or if it is 4 days or less before the 1st class, customers can inquire about a withdrawal in person at the customer service desk of a designated recreation facility or by calling the Parks, Recreation and Culture Customer Service line. Staff will apply the policy to determine the refund that is to be provided to the customers.
- Any refund issued is refunded in the same currency in which it was originally paid.