Rezonings & Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments

City’s Zoning Bylaw

The City’s Zoning Bylaw implements the City’s Official Community Plan by regulating land use and the general form and siting of development.

The Zoning Bylaw defines: permitted uses, development density, siting of buildings, building heights, lot coverage and off-street parking and loading, among other items, within Zoning Districts (i.e., zones).


Owners of property may apply to amend the zoning on their property. Any Rezoning (Zoning Bylaw Map Amendment) must be in accordance with the City’s Official Community Plan. Any development permit or building permit issued by the City, or any subdivision approved by the City’s Approving Officer, must also be in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw.

Please consult the relevant bylaws and other documents for specific regulations and requirements or contact Development Planning at 604-927-3430 for more information.

Zoning Bylaw Text Amendments

Zoning Bylaw Text amendments amend a requirement or regulation within the Bylaw affecting a particular zone (e.g., permitted uses or density). Such amendments would affect all properties within that zone. Like a rezoning, a text amendment must be in accordance with the Official Community Plan.

Bylaw Third Reading Extensions

When an application has received a third reading from Council, the applicant has one year from the date it was given third reading to complete the application requirements and obtain Council’s final adoption of the related bylaw amendment. If a situation arises in which the applicant has not met all of the requirements within the one year time frame, the bylaw amendment will lapse and will be of no force or effect. However, should the applicant wish to continue to proceed with their project, they may submit a request to extend this one-year period between third and final adoption.

How to Find Zoning on a Property

All land in the City is assigned a zone. The zoning on individual properties is identified on the City’s Zoning Bylaw Maps. You can use Q the Map to find the zoning on any property in the City.

  1. Click on the "Planning" layer in Q the Map
  2. Use the "Search" function and type in an address in the address box.
  3. Under the "Layers" function use the "Planning" folder to add zoning information, by checking the Zoning box.

Development Application Signs

All Applicants pursuing Development Applications are required to install a development proposal sign on the development site. For more information please visit Development Application Signs.

Public Information Meetings

From time to time, developers host public information meetings at the request of the Planning and Development Department or on their own initiative. The main purpose of a public information meeting is to provide information about a proposed complex development project to the residents in the area and to obtain feedback so that issues and concerns can be identified and addressed early in the development application process. When holding public information meetings, the proponents should observe and comply with the following guideline document.