Accessibility is at the forefront of the services that the City of Coquitlam provides. Delivering community facilities, infrastructure, neighbourhood plans and community recreation programs for people of all ages and abilities are just a few examples of our commitment to accessibility.
At the City we:
- Develop and periodically update our plans and regulations to guide the planning and implementation of our services, neighbourhoods, community facilities, recreation programs, parks and infrastructure.
- Encourage the cost-effective provision of housing which either meets, or can readily be adapted to meet, the needs of people with disabilities.
- Design and build a street network that is accessible to individuals of varying ages and abilities.
- Design and build pedestrian infrastructure with the abilities of all users in mind.
- Provide access to local transit through sidewalk connections, passenger landing pads, and other bus stop facilities for people of all abilities.
- Welcome people of all abilities to our Parks, Recreation, Culture and Facilities programs and services.
- Commit to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)– an overarching Business Plan Priority focusing on initiatives to build an equitable and inclusive society for all.
From planning and regulation to implementation, accessibility is and will continue to be at the heart of the services we provide.
Recreation Accessibility Resource Guide
Coquitlam offers adaptive programs, accessible facilities and equipment to enhance recreation accessibility in the community to provide opportunities for people of all ages, abilities and means to access recreation. View the Recreation Accessibility Resource Guide (PDF).
The City of Coquitlam website is built based on accessibility compliance requirements include several voluntary consensus standards, including WCAG 2.0, a globally recognized, technology-neutral standard for web content. The website is built to be accurately interpreted by assistive technology.
Other Accessibility Resources
The following are some references to City’s regulations and policies on access to City infrastructure for people with disabilities. This list may be updated periodically as more resources are identified.
- Parking requirements to accommodate persons with disabilities - see the City’s Zoning Bylaw (sections 707 and 708) (PDF).
- Parking at City facilities for persons with disabilities - opportunities and rules.
- BC Building Code and Building Access Handbook (2014) (PDF).
- Coquitlam’s Snow Angels program for those who need assistance clearing their sidewalk of snow.
- Coquitlam’s HEROS Program - information about Emergency Preparedness for the public, including for people with disabilities.
- City Park or Trail accessibility information - available on ’QTheMap’.
- Parks, Recreation and Culture programs - call the Community Services Coordinator at 604-927-6900 for information or the help of a volunteer. Note: Volunteers can assist with crafts, games and sports activities; they cannot provide personal care.
- Access to Parks, Recreation and Culture programs - list of programs that help address barriers to recreation access.
- Guidelines for hosting events in Coquitlam.