Taking place from spring 2021 to 2024, the Cedar Drive Upgrade Project (PDF) will happen in a number of phases and will extend the sewer system, improve drainage, enhance Partington Creek and provide transportation upgrades. The much-needed upgrades will support new development in the eastern section of the Partington Creek neighbourhood, and will also improve service to existing residents in the area.
This will be the largest and likely the most complex project delivered by the City’s Engineering & Public Works department in the current five-year capital plan.
Construction Updates - Spring/Summer 2023
- Preloading work is expected to begin in April and will be ongoing until early August (weather dependent).
- Work on the pump station will continue throughout the remainder of the year.
- Traffic on Cedar Drive will be maintained while the contractor completes the preloading work and the work on the pump station, however, there may be minor traffic delays.
- This fall, the City is planning to tender a contract for the future road improvements and environmental channel work. This work is expected to begin in 2024.
- 2020: Completed the property acquisition and detailed design.
- 2021: Arranged for permitting and began some of the construction, primarily moving earth and “preloading” future road and utility sites – covering them with piles of earth to help settle the soil over time – and removal of knotweed, an invasive species.
- 2022/2023: Preloading work, as well as most of the sewer system expansion work, including a pump station, forcemain and gravity sewer connection to Victoria Drive.
- 2024/2025: Reconstruction of Cedar Drive and the drainage channel and environmental enhancements in Partington Creek (in late summer, when safe for fish).
Ongoing communications will take place with area property owners and other stakeholders as the work progresses, including notification when properties will be directly affected by construction activity.
To stay informed about the project, monitor this page or sign up for Cedar Drive Upgrade Project updates.
If you missed our recent online information session, please review the video below or the online event questions and answers.