Outdoor burning and campfires are not permitted in City parks.
Fire/Rescue has Park Event Safety Guidelines to promote fire safety for events held within the City's parks. Please visit this area of the website for information.
When the fire-risk rating has been in the 'extreme' range for more than three consecutive days, the Fire Chief may implement a barbeque ban in the city. Please read on for details for special permit for events and criteria (PDF).
See Permit Application (PDF) here:
Criteria for the issuance of a barbeque permit and/or use of barbeques in permit exempted areas during the time of a barbeque ban, are as follows:
- Cooking is conducted by authorized persons on an approved propane appliance only. Open flame cooking with wood or charcoal briquettes is not permitted.
- The barbeque is set up and properly barricaded on an asphalt or concrete surface.
- The area is swept clean of any dried needles or flammable materials before setting up the barbeque.
- Cooking is conducted in an open, safe location away from trees, shrubs and dry grass.
- An approved fire extinguisher is provided near the cooking area.
- Event approval is obtained from Parks, Recreation, Culture and Facilities division.
- A designated event supervisor is in attendance at all times.
During the time that cooking is taking place; a person with access to a cell phone shall be identified and will be responsible for calling 9-1-1 in the event of a fire emergency. They shall be made aware of the correct response address.
The following park locations have been pre-approved for barbeque use, therefore, do not require an exemption permit:
- Blue Mountain Park (975 King Albert Ave.)
- Covered picnic area on the SE corner of the park.
- On asphalted area on the east side of the Scout Hall just outside the covered walkway.
- Mackin Park (1046 Brunette Avenue)
- In the southwest corner of the park.
- Spani Pool (655 Hillcrest Street)
- Under the covered picnic area with concrete pad.
- Town Centre Park (1299 Pinetree Way)
- The paved area by the stadium main gate, north of the change rooms.