Complaints & Enforcement

The City uses a variety of enforcement measures - our preferred method is to explain to people who are violating the City’s bylaws, the need for the bylaws and, if possible, obtain voluntary compliance. The Bylaw Enforcement Policy (PDF) outlines a standardized approach in order to ensure investigations are prioritized in a uniform way, as well as to ensure a fair and efficient complaint process.

Bylaw enforcement occurs through a tiered process of achieving bylaw compliance by means of:

  • Community education
  • Voluntary compliance on a case by case basis
  • Formal legal proceedings such as tickets, impoundments and/or court proceedings (if voluntary compliance is not achieved)

Report a Bylaw Complaint

  • To report a bylaw complaint, please call Bylaw Enforcement at 604-927-7387 or 604-927-3085 or emailing Bylaw Enforcement. If after hours, please leave a message or send an email and a staff member will be in touch with you.
  • To make a request for service, including requests for stray dogs or cats, deceased animals, dog attacks and illegally parked vehicles, among others, please call 604-927-7387.
  • For concerns involving businesses, including Business Licensing and noise, zoning or the unsightliness of commercial/business properties, please call 604-927-3085.
  • To make a complaint about a strata property, such as a townhome or mobile homes, you must forward your complaint to the strata management company or strata council. If you are not a resident of the strata property (i.e. you live at a neighbouring property), you may phone us for assistance.

Note: The City will not accept anonymous complaints. The City keeps the identity of every complainant confidential unless the complainant has agreed to be identified. When submitting a request for service, we ask that you have the exact address where the alleged violation has occurred. We are unable to attend complaints based on a description of a house or area.