Whereas Coquitlam’s Strategic Plan outlines five major strategic goals for the City, the Business Plan provides the annual action plan for the organization. The City provides a broad range of services to the community and the Business Plan assists staff in focusing resources, including staff time, on the most important city priorities each year. Council bases the Business Plan priorities on the following criteria:
The 2023 Business Plan looks to four overarching themes that will guide the City’s priorities in 2023 and that impact the work of all City departments:
- Balanced Growth and Livability - Including maintaining existing services levels as costs rise, planning for community growth and increasing service needs, supporting attainable housing and investing in community safety. This theme also includes accommodating development activity that supports community priorities; more than 95 per cent of new development in Coquitlam includes new housing.
- Resiliency - Ensuring the City has the capacity and flexibility to adapt to changes, while having adequate reserves to deal with future known costs.
- Reconciliation - Providing time, effort and resources to enhancing the City’s relationship with local First Nations.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion - Removing barriers and continuing to build a more equitable, inclusive, safe and welcoming community and organization.
These themes span across all goals and departments and will inform the City’s decision-making across all lines of business and service areas.
2023 Business Plan and Priorities
The 2023 Business Plan (PDF) priorities have been organized into themes under each of the City’s five strategic goals. Each theme has direct work items and are ranked to indicate relative importance. The definitions of these rankings are as follows:
- "A" Priority: Initiatives that are most strongly supported as top priorities for the current year because they meet the majority of the following criteria:
- Considerable budget impact and/or human resource effort
- Significant Council or community interest
- Dependence on external partners
- Mandatory or legislated
- "B" Priority: Initiatives that are supported as priorities because they meet some of the above criteria, however, they may be deferred if circumstances throughout the year so dictate
- "C" Priority: Initiatives that are important but may be deferred if time and resources are not available
Annual Dashboard Report
Each year, the City reports out achievements, including key performance indicators and a list of major accomplishments as they relate to Business Plan objectives. The 2021 Annual Dashboard can be viewed below.