The City is planning a new community centre on Burke Mountain that will meet the needs of current and future residents of this growing Northeast Coquitlam community – as well as residents across the community – with amenities including pools, gymnasiums and a fitness centre. See below for the proposed building program and public engagement information. View the site plan.
Targeted to open in 2027 in the future Burke Mountain Village, the proposed 7,430-square-metre (80,000-square-foot) Northeast Community Centre (NECC) will include a range of services including aquatics, gymnasiums, fitness, library and community space sized to meet the anticipated demand for recreation and community centre services in the area.
Proposed Building Concept
The proposed building concept for the three-storey building includes:
- An aquatics centre with separate leisure and lap pools, whirlpool and sauna;
- Two gymnasiums for daytime preschool programs and court sports;
- Fitness centre with weight room and studio;
- Indoor and outdoor walking tracks;
- Community space including multi-purpose rooms, community kitchen, a ‘makerspace’ (i.e. collaborative working, learning and exploring space) and large atrium;
- Covered outdoor covered space for recreation and cultural programs;
- About 340 parking stalls, half of which will be covered;
- Public art; and
- A new branch of the Coquitlam Public Library.
Adjacent to the NECC will be a park and public plaza.
Ice arenas are not currently included in the site, as the current demand for ice is satisfied with the existing supply.
For more information on the development of Burke Mountain, visit the Burke Mountain Updates web page or sign up for the Burke Mountain email news list.