Owners of detached single-family dwellings are permitted to perform work on their own plumbing systems providing they meet the following criteria:
- As the owner, you must live in or intend to live in the dwelling upon completion.
- No person other than a member of your immediate family will, with or without compensation, assist with the plumbing work. You must further certify that there is no other dwelling or premises directly attached to your dwelling.
- You are not preparing the building for sale or rent or for occupancy by anyone other than yourself and your household.
- A signed declaration of these conditions, as well as a schematic of the proposed work is required.
- Owners are required to satisfy the building inspector of their competency. For more information, please contact the Building Permits Division.