Building & Construction

Building on My Property

The Building Permits Division is responsible for ensuring that buildings are healthy and safe for people. We are available to provide education and assistance prior to building or making changes to your property.

Find important information in this section on these topics:

  • Obtaining building permits and inspections
  • Building and Construction Bulletins which are updates and advisories to help you interpret building, electrical, and trades’ bylaws, as well as City processes and regulations
  • Zoning and Property Information
  • Key City Bylaws related to building on your property
  • Building a Secondary Suite
  • Permit Fees (PDF)

Building Bylaw

The Building Bylaw regulates the construction, alteration, repair, demolition or moving of buildings and pools and the installation, alteration or repair of plumbing, sprinkler and heating and gas systems in the City of Coquitlam.

Types of Permits & Basic Requirements

The City of Coquitlam has several types of permits including:

Development Permits - When you are building on any property, check if the property is within a Development Permit Area to determine if your type of construction requires a Development Permit.

What to Know When Building on Your Property

Property Lines & Infrastructure

You may be able to obtain a Form Survey from City Hall (depending on the age of your house and if one is available). Form Surveys can be purchased at the Building Permits Division counter if these conditions are met:

  • Homeowners must show proof of ownership
  • Realtors and prospective buyers must show purchase agreement

To locate your sanitary, storm or water service at the property line, records can be viewed at the Engineering and Public Works customer service counter at City Hall.

Legal Lot Documents

Legal lot plans, legal documents shown on the title of a property and property encumbrances such as Rights-of-Way and easements, may be viewed at the Engineering and Public Works customer service counter at City Hall. Copying plans is not permitted; however, duplicates can be obtained from the Land Title and Survey Authority of BC.

Land Title & Survey Authority of BC
New Westminster Land Title Office
Anvil Centre Office Tower
Suite 500 - 11 Eighth Street
New Westminster, BC, V3M 3N7
Phone: 604-630-9630
Toll Free Phone: 877-577-5872

Right of Way

A Right-of-Way is an allowance given by a private property owner to the municipality or government to enter onto their private property for a municipal purpose such as water, sewer, road access and other utility services. For more information, see our Guidelines for Rights-of-Way (PDF).


A Covenant is an agreement between two parties that would normally put restrictions on land and its use.


An easement is an agreement between two private property owners whose properties adjoin; it grants access to each other’s property for a predetermined purpose. If an easement is required due to work being done through the City, they will assist you with the procedure. If the easement relates to a private arrangement between two neighbours, we recommend you consult a private lawyer.